The Duncan: History Meets Luxury in Dupont Circle
Originally built in 1906 as a private residence, the Duncan has been re-born as a nine-unit luxury condo development. The curb appeal of The Duncan is tops in the neighborhood with a front circular drive, gas side-lamps, an elegantly finished window pane doorway and an original two-story stained-glass window.
Located in Dupont Circle at the corner of 18th and R Streets, the Duncan has one of the best and most walkable locations in the entire District as evidenced by the buildings's perfect WalkScore of 100. The Dupont Metro, Adams Morgan and U Street are all very walkable from the Duncan.
The Duncan draws its name from the original owner, Dr. William Duncan McKim, a retired medical doctor and accomplished organist. The south end of the property featured a grand conservatory with one of DC's finest privately owned pipe organs. This organ remained in the property until renovations began in 2004 when it was donated to the Universalist Memorial Church on 16th Street. Today, worshippers enjoy the brilliant sounds of this magnificent instrument.
The prominent DC-based architectural firm of Hornblower and Marshall, best known for architecting the Smithsonian’s Natural History Museum, designed The Duncan. The Duncan was built by prestigious builder William Lipscomb, who has left a stamp on the District with many fine buildings including the Meridian House, the Congressional Club, the Textile Museum and the French Embassy.
Finishes at the Duncan are dramatic and high-end with SubZero & Wolf appliances, marble baths, 13-foot ceilings, Brazilian cherry floors and custom molding. The top floor units have private rooftop terraces and the building has garage parking.
Currently, two units are available for sale at the Duncan, a 2 BR / 2 BA with 1,473 SF listed for $1,125,000 and a 2 BR / 2 BA with 1,887 SF listed for $1,250,000. Here is a resource to view active Duncan Condominium real estate listings.