Much Love For LeDroit Park

Posted by Mark Washburn on Monday, August 31st, 2015 at 7:45am.


ledroit park homes

The quiet enclave in the middle of the city, LeDroit Park, is still relatively affordable, near the Shaw-Howard University Metro Station and one of the oldest neighborhoods in DC.  LeDroit Park is just south of Howard University and west of Bloomingdale.  Residents are drawn to the historic Victorian homes, newer row houses and modest mid-rise brick houses in the neighborhood.  Residents now represent a wide variety of ethnic groups; the racial, socioeconomic and gender diversity is what attracts newcomers to the neighborhood.  Residents in LeDroit Park have a short bike ride to downtown, 14th Street and Columbia Heights, and the neighborhood is close to several bus lines.  The Shaw-Howard University Metro Station on the Green and Yellow Lines is a short walk from the area.

Recognized as the LeDroit Park Historic District and with a place on the National Register of Historic Places, LeDroit Park is bordered by W Street to the north, Rhode Island Avenue and Florida Avenue to the south, Second Street NW to the east and Howard University to the west.  It is distinct from the nearby neighborhoods of Shaw and Bloomingdale, with a collection of narrow tree-lined streets where many African-American elite have resided there; prominent figures such as Dr. Ralph Bunche, Duke Ellington and Rev. Jesse Jackson.  One of  the most recognizable features of LeDroit Park is its grand Victorian mansions, row houses designed by architect James McGill, and a number of brick and frame row houses built at the end of the 19th century..  None of the original homes were exactly alike and most built between 1873-1877.

A park is in the neighborhood with a dog park, a large playground and a community garden with 40 plots.  Prince Charles has visited this community garden called the Common Good City Farms.  Murals can be seen throughout the neighborhood showing historical and architectural scenes from the past and present.  Its original brick and iron gate “LeDroit Park 1873” still stands and was put in by developers to discourage people from passing through.  Some of the neighborhood homes are fully restored and painted charming pastel colors surrounded by smaller gardens.

Leave a Comment