Fourteenth Street Historic District
Following the Civil War, DC experienced rapid growth characteristic of Victorian-era urban expansion. The 14th Street and Logan Circle Historic Districts span an area of roughly 24 city blocks intersected by 14th Street, NW, north of Massachusetts Avenue and the edge of downtown. This area serves as one of the city’s main artistic and cultural hubs, and includes more than 750 residential, commercial and religious buildings. The 14th Street Historic District, which overlaps the Logan Circle district, was listed on The National Register of Historic Places in 1994. The boundaries of the 14th Street Historic District are S Street to the north, 11th and 12th Streets to the east, N Street and O Street to the south, and 16th Street to the west.
The 14th Street Historic District is noted for its residential and commercial development resulting from the establishment of the city’s first streetcar line. This area is a major commercial and transportation corridor featuring antebellum buildings, Victorian row houses, grand turn-of-the-century apartment buildings, and commercial buildings. Primarily a residential area, Fourteenth Street is surrounded by a prominent commercial corridor. Much of the neighborhood’s brick Victorian architecture built in the mid-to-late 19th century remains largely intact. Early 20th century architecture can be seen mainly along 14th Street.
The neighborhood’s architecture, history and affordable prices began to attract new residents in the 1980s interested in restoring its old houses. The street was designated as an arts district, and local theaters helped anchor old and new restaurants and shops.
Several buildings in the historic district have been designated as landmarks, such as Gladstone and Hawarden Apartment Buildings NR at 1419 and 1423 R Street; the Queen Anne/Romanesque Revival facades showcase Victorian eclecticism; and the Alma Thomas House NR at 1530 15th Street was built in 1875. There are several prominent churches in the historic district, such as the Luther Place Memorial Church NR in a Gothic Revival architecture; St. Luke’s Episcopal Church NHL designed in the Early English Gothic style in 1876; and the Mt. Olivet Lutheran Church at 1302 Vermont Avenue featuring Gothic Revival architecture was built in 1882.